1. Gani JS and Morrison JM. Simple thyroid cyst: cause of acute bilateral recurrent Laryngeal nerve palsy. Br. Med. J. 1987; 294: 1128-1129.
2. Gani JS and Gillies JR. Cystic artery erosion: a rare cause of upper gastrointestinal haemorrhage. Med. J. Aust. 1987; 147: 260-261.
3. Gani JS, Anseline PF and Bissett RL. The efficacy of double gloving in protecting the operating team. Aust. N.Z. J. Surg. 1990; 60: 171-175.
4. Gani JS. Biological agents in the treatment of cancer. Proceedings of an International Conference Newcastle 1990. p 221-232.
5. Gani JS and Burns GF Integrins and accessory adhesion molecules. Today’s Life Sciences December 1990; 2(12): 32-36.
6. Gani JS, Fowler PR, Steinberg AW, Nanra RG, Hibberd AD. Use of the fistula assessment monitor to detect stenoses in access fistulae. Am J Kid Dis 1991; 17:303-306.
7. Sugrue M, Gani J, Sarre R, Watts J. Ectopia and agenesis of the gallbladder: a report of two sets of twins and review of the literature. Aust. N .Z. J Surg. 1991, 61:816-818.
8. Stomski FC, Gani JS, Bates RC, Burns GF. Adhesion to thrombospondin by human embryonic fibroblasts is mediated by multiple receptors and includes a role for glycoprotein 88 (CD36). Exp Cell Res 1992, 198: 85-92.
9. Dickinson RW, Oakes LH, Gani JS. Identifying patients with Cholelithiasis unlikely to benefit from surgery. HPB Surgery 1992, 5 (Supplement): 24.
10. E H Drabble and J S Gani. Acute Gastrocnemius Myositis: another extraintestinal manifestation of Crohns Disease. Medical Journal of Australia 1992; 157:318-320.
11. J S Gani, L H Oakes and R W Dickinson. Pre-Operative identification of Postcholecystectomy Symptom risk. Aust. N. Z. J. Surg. 1993; 63:376-377.
12. J Ferguson, G Cotteril, J Gani, GF Burns. Scanning Tunnelling Microscopy of Collagen I reveals filament bundles to be arranged in a left handed helix. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 1993; 194(2): 973-977.
13. J S Gani, G Cotteril, J McDonald and G F Burns. Scanning Tunneling Microscopy of Thrombospondin and its Ligands. Aust. N. Z. J. Surg. 1993; 63:964.
14. E H Drabble, J S Gani, P Davidson, J Wright. Partial Laceration of the distal bile duct and wedge fracture of L1 caused by blunt trauma: a new perspective on treatment. British Journal of Surgery 1994; 81:120.
15. J S Gani. Management of Perforation of the Duodenum following Endoscopic Sphincterotomy: A Proposal for Selective Therapy. Aust. N. Z. J. Surg. 1995; 65:264.
16. Brian Draganic, Richard Perry, Jon Gani. Operative Cholangiography in the Laparoscopic Era: A retrospective review of the quality and interpretation of this investigation. Aust. N. Z. J. Surg. 1996; 66:18-21.
17. C Hayes, S Ambizidis, J S Gani. Intensive Care Admissions Following Laparoscopic Surgery: What lessons can be learned ? Aust. N. Z. J. Surg. 1996; 66: 206-209.
18. B Draganic and J S Gani. The incidence of Deep Venous Thrombosis following Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy. Med J Aust 1996; 165: 402.
19. B Draganic JS Gani. Retained Gallstones: a Pain in the Back. Aust. N. Z. J. Surg. 1997; 67: 662-664.
20. VL Wills, L Eno, C Walker, J Gani. The Use of an Ambulance based Helicopter Retrieval Service – Angels of Mercy? Aust. N. Z. J. Surg. 1998; 68: A147.
21. J S Gani. Can Sincalide Cholescintigraphy fulfil the role of a clinically meaningful Gallbladder Stress Test for patients with gallbladder stones? Aust. N. Z. J. Surg. 1998; 68: 514-519.
22. B Draganic, AN James, M Booth, JS Gani. Comparative experience with a simple technique for Laparoscopic Placement of Chronic Peritoneal Dialysis Catheters. Aust. N. Z. J. Surg 1998; 68: 735-739.
23. M Puvaneswary, J Gani, IK Kalnins. Glomus Vagale presenting as a supraclavicular mass: Magnetic resonance imaging and findings. Australian Radiology 1998; 42: 367-369.
24. J S Gani, L Oakes. Biliary Symptom Scoring as a method for selecting Patients for Cholecystectomy. Aust. N. Z. J. Surg. 2000; 70: 644-8.
25. V L Wills, L Eno, C Walker, J S Gani. The use of an Ambulance-based Helicopter Trauma retrieval service. Aust. N. Z. J. Surg. 2000; 70: 506-10.
26. C. D. Douglas, N. E. Macpherson, P. D. Davidson, J. S. Gani. A randomised trial of ultrasonography in the diagnosis of acute appendicitis, incorporating the Alvarado score. BMJ 2000: 321; 919-922.
27. R. Ackroyd, D I Watson, P A Game, D P Simons, John Buckingham, A Lord, J S Gani. Serious complications following Laparoscopic Gastric Banding for Morbid obesity – Time for a randomised trial? MD Thesis J S Gani University of Newcastle May 2001.
28. Martina Zib and Jon Gani. Is the evidence for laparoscopic hernia repair good enough? Aust.N.Z J. Surg. 2000: 70; 898.
29. Winn R, Douglas CD, Gani JS. A Controlled Trial of a Protocol Driven Approach to the Management of Right Iliac Fossa (RIF) Pain. ANZ J Surg. 2001: 71 (Suppl.) A40
30. C. D. Douglas, N. E. Macpherson, P. D. Davidson, J. S. Gani. NUEVAS PRUEBAS DIAGNOSTICAS, ¿LOS MISMOS. July 2nd, 2001 http://www.siicsalud.com/dato/dat024/01629001.htm in the Section Expertos Invitados (Invited Experts) of SIIC On The Internet http://www.siicsalud.com/main/expinv.htm).
31. Martina Zib and Jon Gani. Inguinal Hernia Repair – Where to next? ANZ J Surg 2002; 72: 573-579.
32. Richard Levey, Walid Barto and Jon Gani. A Retrospective Study of the Utility Of Nuclear Scintigraphic Labelled Red Cell Scanning for Lower Gastrointestinal Bleeding. ANZJ Sur 2003; 73:205-209.
33. Martina Zib and Jon Gani. Letter to the Editor:Inguinal Hernia where to next ? ANZ Journal of Surgery 2003; 73:352.
34. P A Holz, DBF Cottee, Gani JS. Delayed Gastric Emptying with Octreotide. Anaesthesia and Intensive Care. 2003; 31:235.
35. N. E. Macpherson and J. S. Gani. White cell Count and Appendicitis: the missing link. ANZ J Surg 2003; 73:963-965.
36. A Spigelman, J Gani, C Burgess, C Groombridge, T Dudding, A Ingrey, M Gleeson, R Scott. Advanced duodenal polyposis: literature review and experience with pancreas-sparing duodenectomy in patients with familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP). 4th Joint Meeting of the Leeds Castle Polyposis Group and the International Collaborative Group on Hereditary NonPolyposis Colorectal Cancer, Ohio, USA 4-6 September 2003. Familial Cancer, 2(supplement 1) 84, Abstract No P86.
37. Winn RD, Laura S, Douglas C, Davidson P and Gani JS. A Protocol Driven Approach to the Management of Suspected Appendicitis. ANZ J Surg 2004; 74: 324-329.
38. Jon Gani. Compications after Discharge of Surgical Patients. ANZJ Surg 2004; 74:805.
39. A Spigelman, J Gani. Pylorus-preserving PD for advanced duodenal disease in FAP. BJS 2005;92: 253-254.
40. Jon Gani Laparoscopic Surgery: Principles and Procedures. ANZ Journal of Surgery 2005; 75: 527. Book Review.
41. JS Gani. The Management of Bile Leaks. ANZ Journal of Surgery 2005:75 (Suppl).A77.
42. Tsutomu Matsushita, Peng Seah, Jonathan Gani. Giant Morgagni Hernia causing Cardiac Tamponade. Heart Lung Circulation 2007; 16:392-393.
43. David Dewar, Costa Karihaloo and Jon Gani. Splenosis, Splenunculi. http://www.surgicalexam.com/case-reports/report1.html
44. Chris O’Neill, Donna Gillies and Jon Gani. Common Bile Duct Stones: A review of Management Options. Brit J Surg. 2007; 94(S2):56-57 and ANZ J Surg 2007; 77(S1): A43-44.
45. Jon Gani. Obesity surgery Still does not equal Laparoscopic Gastric Banding. ANZJ Surg. 2008; 78: 227. Editorial.
46. Christine O’Neill, Donna Gillies & Jon S Gani. Common Bile Duct Stones in Practice: Over diagnosed endoscopically and Undertreated Laparoscopically. ANZJ Surg 2008: 78; 487-491.
47. Jon Gani & Costa Karihaloo. The Kindest Cut in Obesity Treatment. Newcastle Hearald 2009. Oct 23. Page 10.
48. Kerrie Lewis, Colin Ward, Jon Gani. A new technique for open biliary bypass: Hepatico-cholecysto-enterostomy. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2010; 25 s3: A27
49.Gregory J Nolan Dr, Cino Bendinelli Dr and Jon Gani Dr. Laparoscopic drainage of an intramural duodenal haematoma. World Journal of Emergency Surgery 2011; 6:42.
50. Jon Gani and Kerrie Lewis. Hepaticocholecystoenterostomy. A simple proven alternative to Hepaticojejunostomy for Biliary bypass. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2012; 94: 472-475.
51. Jonathan Stephen Gani. Perspectives. 21st Century Appendicitis: Selecting non-operative winners. ANZ J Surg 2013; 83:6-7.
52. Donna Gillies, Jill Lack, Jon Gani, Tony Proietto. IDENTIFYING SHORTCOMINGS AND VARIATION IN THE DIAGNOSIS OF COLORECTAL CANCER PATIENTS Asia-Pac J Clin Oncol 2013; 9(Suppl. 3): p148 (307)
53. Colin Lye, Donna Gillies and Jon Gani. Pancreatico-duodenectomy with high quality results in a medium volume centre. What are the Australian definitions of low volume? Journal of Integrative Oncology. 2013,2:104. DOI: 10.4172/2329-6771.1000104. https://www.omicsgroup.org/journals/pancreatico-duodenectomy-with-high-quality-results-in-a-medium-volumecentre-what-are-the-australian-definitions-of-low-2329-6771.1000104.pdf. Abstracts also published: a) ANZ J Surg 2013, Volume 83, Issue Supplement S1, Page 63. b) Gastroenterology 2013; 144 (5): Supplement 1. Page S-1127 http://www.gastrojournal.org/supplements# Page 71.c) Asia-Pac J Clin Oncol 2013; 9(Suppl. 3): p102 (147)
54. YM Ho. J Gani, BD Draganic, SR Smith. Bladeless stoma creation using muscle separation technology: a novel technique. Techniques in Coloproctology. 2014; 18:299-300.
55. Brayden March, Donna Gillies, Jon Gani.Appendicectomies performed >48 hours after admission to a dedicated Acute General Surgical Unit. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2014; 96: 614-617.
56. Donna Gillies, Jon Gani, Rob Foster, Peter Pockney and Anne Duggan. Fast Track Colonoscopy for positive faecal occult blood testing (+FOBT) in a Public Hospital Setting. Asia-Pacific Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2014; 10: 145
57. Using the Delphi process to determine optimal care for patients with pancreatic cancer. Asia-Pacific Journal of Clinical Oncology 2016; 12: 105-114.
58. Brayden March, David Burnett and Jon Gani. Single-stage laparoscopic cholecystectomy and intraoperative endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography: is this strategy feasible in Australia? ANZ J Surg 2016; 86: 874-7.
59. Anoja Wijeratne and Jonathon Gani. The use of a pedicalised gallbladder graft to repair a large duodenal defect: a case report and review of the literature. Internal Medicine Review. December 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.18103/imr.v2i11.270
60. David Burnett, Jon Gani. Response to Re: Single-stage laparoscopic cholecystectomy and intraoperative endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography: is this strategy feasible in Australia? ANZ J Surg. 2016; 86: 1069.
61. Tripti Joshi 1,Phillip Woodford 2, Kaushik Maiti 3,Roger Smith3, Jon Gani 4, Shamasunder Acharya 1 Giant Retroperitoneal Teratoma associated with unexpected Post-operative Adrenal insufficiency: CRH and ACTH secretion from teratoma?In press. American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists.AACE Clinical Case Reports: Winter 2017, Vol 3 (No.1) pp. e8-e11. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.4158/EP15785.CR
62. A Rutledge, G Carrol, S Smith, J Gani. How to do it: Use of the Alexis wound protector as a laparostomy device. ANZ J Surg. 2017; 87: 732-3.
63. David Burnett, Jonathan S Gani. Routine MRI is not the panacea to common duct stones. ANZ J Surg. 2017; 87: 743-744.
64. A Rutledge, G Carrol, S Smith, J Gani. Response to letter to the editor from Dr Vincent Dubuisson et al. ANZ J Surg. 2018; 88: 117.
65. Jacqueline Hawthorne, Jonathan S. Gani. The Incidence of Pulmonary Aspiration Syndrome in Patients with Small Bowel Obstruction – A Retrospective Study. Gastroenterology May 2018 Volume 154, Issue 6, Supplement 1, Page S-1307. Su1310 – DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0016-5085(18)34284-7
66. Brayden March, Lucy Leigh, Marcio Brussius-Coelho, Merran Holmes, Peter Pockney, Jon Gani. Can CRP velocity in right iliac fossa pain identify patients for intervention? A prospective observational cohort study. The Surgeon 2019; 17: 284-290.
67. Louise Clarke, Peter Pockney, Donna Gillies, Robert Foster, Jon Gani. Direct Access Colonoscopy Service for Bowel Cancer Screening produces a positive financial benefit for patients and Local Health Districts. Internal Medicine Journal 2019; 49: 729–733.
68. Louise Clarke, Peter Pockney, Donna Gillies, Robert Foster, Jon Gani. Time to colonoscopy for patients accessing the Direct Access Colonoscopy Service compared to the normal service in Newcastle, Australia. Internal Medicine Journal 2019; 49: 1132–1137.
69. Hunter Emergency Laparotomy Collaborator Group. Dilharan D Eliezer, Merran Holmes, Gavin Sullivan, Jon Gani, PeterPockney. High risk emergency laparotomy in Australia: Comparing NELA, P-POSSUM and ACS-NSQIP Calculators. Journal of Surgical Research 2020; 246:300-304.
70. Simon Witcher, Christopher Oldmeadow, Jon Gani, Peter Pockney. Is there a difference in the incidence of neoplasia in bowel cancer screening patients tested inside and outside the NBCSP? MJA. 2019; 212 (6): 275-276.
71. Maria Julia Corbetta Machado1, Andrew Gray1,2, Marisol Cedreira Perez 1,2, Jon Gani 1,2. Short and Long Term Outcomes of Percutaneous Cholecystostomy in an Australian Population. ANZJ Surg. 2020; 90 (9): 1660–1665
73. Fenton, Mark; Gani, Jon; Pockney, Peter. Adverse Events After Inpatient Colonoscopy in Octogenarians. Patient Selection Key for Colonoscopies. Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology: May/June 2020 – Volume 54 – Issue 5 – p 484. doi: 10.1097/MCG.0000000000001345
74. Incidence and management of hypertriglyceridaemia-associated acute pancreatitis: a prospective case series in a single Australian tertiary centre. Hong Lin Evelyn Tan, Georgina McDonald, Alexander Payne, William Yu, Zahrul Ismadi, Huy Tran, Jon Gani, and Katie Wynne. J. Clin. Med. 2020, 9, 3954; doi:10.3390/jcm9123954
75. Daniel Feng, Luke Petschack, Georgia Marr, Jon Gani. Surgeon Preference may be more important than Models of Care when it comes to Early Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy Rates for Acute Cholecystitis. Journal of Surgery. Journal of Surgery. Vol. 8, No. 6, 2020, pp. 228-232. doi: 10.11648/j.js.20200806.20
76. Elvina Wiadji, Lisa Mackenzie, Jonathan Gani, Rosemary Carroll, Stephen Smith, Mark Frydenberg, Christine O’Neill. The utilisation of telehealth by surgeons during the COVID 19 Pandemic in Australia: Lessons to be Learnt for the Future. First published: 26 February 2021. https://doi.org/10.1111/ans.16693
77. Elvina Wiadji, Lisa Mackenzie, Rosemary Carroll, Patrick Reeder, Sima Ahmadi, Stephen Smith, Jonathan Gani, Mark Frydenberg, Christine O’Neill. Patient perceptions of surgical telehealth consultations during the COVID 19 Pandemic in Australia: lessons for future implementation. ANZ J Surg 2021 doi: 10.1111/ans.17020 .
78. J. Y. Ming, M. Holmes, P. Pockney and J. Gani. Quick, simple and just as effective—comparing pm L3 ratio to NELA, P-POSSUM and NSQIP scores in assessing mortality risk for Emergency Laparotomy – British Journal of Surgery, Vol. 108, Issue Supplement_5 July 2021. O20. https://doi.org/10.1093/bjs/znab258.013. Issue Supplement 6 September 2021. 677. https://doi.org/10.1093/bjs/znab258.013
79. J Y Ming, M Holmes, J Gani, P Pockney. Can patients have their old life back? Using PM:L3 ratio to predict discharge destination of emergency laparotomy survivors. British Journal of Surgery, Volume 108, Issue Supplement_6, September 2021, znab259.520, https://doi.org/10.1093/bjs/znab259.520
80. Smith, Stephen; Gani, Jonathan; Attia, John; Carroll, Rosemary; Lott, Natalie; Hampton, Jacob; Oldmeadow, Christopher; Clapham, Matthew. Antiseptic Skin Agents to Prevent Surgical Site Infection after Incisional Surgery. A Randomized, Three-Armed Combined Non-Inferiority and Superiority Clinical Trial (NEWSkin Prep Study). Annals of Surgery: October 08, 2021 – Volume – Issue – doi: 10.1097/SLA.0000000000005244
State Cancer Council Grant 1991-1992 Investigation of abnormal TSP receptor expression in melanomacells.RG/45/91).
National Health & Medical Research Council Grant. 1992 The Interaction of GP 88 receptors in Melanoma cell lines.
John Hunter Hospital Charitable Trust 2000. Appendicitis Research.
Cancer Institute NSW 2015 and 2017. Direct Access Colonoscopy.
John Hunter Hospital Charitable Trust Grant 2018. Trends and prognostic significance of peri-operative neutrophil extracellular traps and cell-free DNA in patients undergoing surgery for colorectal cancer
2019 NHMRC Partnership Grant ($298,835). Testing the impact of an interactive health communication application on days alive out of hospital and quality of life following surgery for colorectal cancer. (Dr SR Smith is the CI).
MRFF grant of $400,000. Peri-Operative multidisciplinary shared decision making in the older adult population. 2019-21. Stephen Smith, Pragya Ajitsaria, Paul Healy. Jeanette Lacey.
RACS Foundation John Loewenthal Surgical Research Fellowship 1990.
RACS Foundation Reg Worcester Surgical Research Fellowship 1991.
2017. RACS Examiner’s Scholarship. Protecting the examination from Cyber- interference. Visit to JCIE UK Sept-Oct 2017